Wednesday, February 9, 2011

One month on - How am I doing on my goals?

Paul Borwaski, CEO, ASQ hits the nail on its head when he talks about rolling our sleeves up and executing the goals we set for 2011. This was exactly what was eating me up before I publicly declared my key goals for 2011. What can be worse than the whole world (I like to think that just because I put it on my blog the whole world reads it!) knowing that this big-talking fellow missed all his goals for the year.


Well execution is something that has interested me for long. I have written about it earlier and continue to remain amazed about how so many in leadership positions ignore the value of execution. One factor, and I may get run over by a truck for saying this, could be how easy it is to change jobs these days. In some industries it’s a musical chairs of sorts. The same people move from one company to another. If I know I am all set to move in a year or two how motivated am I likely to be to accomplish any long term goals! Idea – Senior positions must come with a bond to serve the role for three years!!! I know I am a wanted man now.


So, where am I on my goals?


My first goal was about getting better at work – helping our stakeholders with faster, better, and cheaper (a term credited to Michael Hammer) processes. I am on track for this. Cant talk much about it since this is a bit employer specific.


Second goal was about becoming more customer centric. Not much progress here but I am talking about it.
Third goal was about making ASQ India and ASQ Bangalore more active – good progress on this. WE have had four meetings in the last four months (one due next week). We have had companies sponsoring these events and the line-up of speakers has been brilliant.


Fourth goal was to Read, write, and speak more – some progress on this. Completed reading a fantastic book. The Last Lecture by Prof. Randy Pausch. Check it out – if you have to read just one book this year then this is it! I am now reading Faster, Cheaper, Better by Michael Hammer and Lisa Hershman. I bought this book more from respect for Dr. Hammer (this is last book…he passed away in 2008). I am not regretting the investment one bit.


And the final goal was around family – I have started running again. Hoping to fall into a habit and lose some weight.


Not bad! Not very good either.


There is another goal which I did not write about – this is inspired from ASQ’s new tag line – The Global Voice of Quality. I have become very vocal about raising my voice against poor quality. Have complained to leading companies about the poor service I am getting. And surprisingly they are listening. Not only listening, acting as well. I am learning that if you have a firm and clear voice you can move mountains.


What was the tipping point? Sharing goals in public helped. Hoping to continue.